Sunday, February 20, 2011

Boston Uncommon

Boston Uncommon
14" x 11" x .75"
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artist panel
SOLD

I finally was able to finish this painting that I started at the palette knife demo I did at the Blackstone Art Association late last year. My reference for this painting was a photo I took on one of my lunch time walks around Boston. It is one of the many interesting views you can see near Arlington and Boylston streets, right where the Public Gardens and the Boston Common come together. I'm not sure why I like this composition because in theory it violates the rules of good composition with the lamp post right in the middle and the Hancock Tower also centered at the top. But maybe that's also why I was attracted to it too. Sometimes you gotta break the rules right?

3 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Ann I love this composition. To me, art shouldn't have to follow rules. When a piece works, it works! The lamppost is so gorgeous and helps ground this piece so beautifully. I think this is my favorite of your cityscapes thus far!

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

I would take a photo with the lamp post in it. It makes all the more interesting. I like that you break the rules

Kim Vanlandingham said...

Broken rules or not, I like it!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...