Saturday, March 13, 2021

Welcome To Provincetown

Welcome to Provincetown

12" x 12"

Oil with palette knives and a wipe out tool

SOLD

I love this old weathered sign that you see as you enter Provincetown from Truro on Cape Cod. I've always wanted to paint it so I decided now was the time to finally do it. 

I struggled with how I was going to "paint" the letters on the sign using my palette knives, so instead I decided to use one of my favorite tools. It's called a Wipe Out Tool and below is a photo to show you what it looks like. It's got a chisel rubber tip on one end and a rounded rubber tip on the other. 

Here's how it works. I painted a swatch of dark blue lettering color as a flat shade in acrylic (because it dries fast). Next, I painted the lighter blue color on top in oil. Then I used the Wipe Out Tool to "lift up" the lighter blue color to reveal the darker blue color underneath. I use to same tool to sign my initials on the front of my paintings. For my signature, the tool lifts up the oil color to reveal my acrylic orange ground color underneath. You can see this at the bottom right of this image.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...