Tuesday, November 3, 2009

In her element



In Her Element
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artists' board
10" x 8"
NFS

I painted this picture of my friends' daughter Elizabeth, an avid reader. I just loved this photo of her taken in a bookstore in Paris, France and couldn't resist trying to paint the pretty dress with the pink tulle she was wearing. You may remember that I had done a sketch of this photo back in August.

I also wanted to post this updated version of my painting Sunday Morning. In my Thursday night painting class, Kim showed me how to glaze this painting to warm up a few areas of the painting and make it more cohesive. Here is a before and after. I just realized that I also made a few adjustments to the composition after I took the second photo. Can you spot them?

Thanks Nancy and Greg for the great reference photos!


2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think I remember seeing the drawing you did of your friend's daughter at the bookstore, Ann. The painting is even more delightful (though I have to say you wield a mighty fine pencil)! I cannot tell the difference between the two Sunday morning paintings! (Color me embarassed!)

Claudia Finn said...

What a wonderful, charming painting which will be a treasure. It creates such a wonderful atmosphere!!! I love palette knife paintings and love this blog!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...