Sunday, February 14, 2010

Palette knife portrait surprise


Girl with the Green Earring
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artist board
10" x 8" x 1.5"
Click on the image to enlarge
NFS

Happy Valentines Day everyone!

This portrait was done as a surprise thank you for Karin Jurick, the artist who organizes the Different Strokes from Different Folks blog challenges. You may remember that Karin's end of the year challenge was a portrait swap. Out of the 180 participants, there were 4 artists who weren't able to come through. So at the last minute, Karin painted those missing 4 portraits so that those artists wouldn't be left out. Jill Polsby was one of those artists. So she organized this project as a thank you by contacting as many artists as she could to paint their own portrait of Karin. Then she created a book of all of the paintings. Take a look at all of the wonderful portraits here.

I don't know why, but I never had an interest in painting portraits. It's probably the pressure of getting the likeness just right. But I've discovered that I really enjoy painting portraits with my palette knife. I feel as if I am carving out the structure of the face with my knife. I thank Karin for introducing me to subjects I would not choose to paint myself. It has really pushed me as an artist.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!!! Your portrait of Karin really highlights your skill with a palette knife! Amazing.... Happy Valentine's Day to a very talented gal!

Tammy Hext said...

Hi Ann, Great painting of Karen- you really captured her. I have awarded you the Sunshine Blog Award. Drop by my blog to accept it.

Claire Kayser said...

Colors and textures are SUPER!

I've extended the sunshine blog award to you! Please come to my blog and receive!

Cheers,
Claire

Autumn Leaves said...

What a gorgeous portrait, Ann! I am not surprised at all, but still and yet, the jaw does indeed drop when I see your portrait works. I love your description of how it feels to be doing a portrait with the palette knives!

Anonymous said...

Hurray!

Mitzi Easley said...

I think your knife-portrait of Karin is stunning, Ann. Really an outstanding entry. Ann, you are a bright spot for me on many days so I’m giving you the Sunshine Award for creativity and positivity in blogging! Check out my blog if you would like to accept your award. Thank!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...