Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ideas and works in progress

I started this painting last week...

It was inspired by this photo I took while in NYC walking on the new High Line, a great new park created from an old elevated rail line. I knew instantly that I wanted to paint it.
 I also knew I wanted to paint it in a square format, so I did this sketch first.
Then I had an idea. Since I seem to be fascinated with both NY and Boston city scenes, why not play up their rivalry and do paintings of similar scenes from both cities?

So, I then did this sketch from a photo I took while walking around Boston during my lunch hour. New York from the High Line vs. Boston from the Finish Line (think marathon). I actually sketched this while looking at the photo on my iPhone. Which sparked another idea...
I paint from photos that I take all the time. I usually print them out, but am always disappointed by how much vibrancy and detail is lost. So, what if Apple created an iPad app for artists where you could upload your photos, plug in the size canvas you're painting, zoom in, crop, even overlay gridlines if you want, and it would illuminate your photo for you as long as you are painting?  Of course you could get an accessory that clipped to your easel also. What do you think of my idea? 

5 comments:

martinealison said...

Très bonne idée et je peux déjà voir qu'elle vous enthousiasme déjà... Très jolis croquis... Bonne continuation, je veux voir tout!... Bises.

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous sketches and great start on the NYC painting, Ann. But then that comes as no surprise; your work is always magnificent. Your sketching is art in and of itself! Your idea? Mahvelous, dahlink! Contact Steve Jobs asap!

Anonymous said...

Get that app in development, ann! I'll help! :)

Nan Johnson said...

Love the 2 paintings/sketches you have done. I know those buildings in NY - great work with the color. I'm curious to see how the Boston ones turn out. (I lived & worked in Boston for about 2 years, so I like to consider it my 2nd home).

And if you get that app developed, let us know. I'll be one of the first to download it!

txartist62 said...

EXCELLENT idea! (and i really want to get an ipad - do you have one?) you need to get on the horn with Steve Jobs now! :) and i LOVE the paintings AND the sketches - wonderful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...