Sunday, July 25, 2010

These streets will make you feel brand new...


New York from the High Line
Oil with a palette knife on artist board
12" x 12"x 1.5"
SOLD

I'm gradually trying bigger sizes of city scenes hoping to avoid the intimidation factor going to a really large canvas size all at once. Reminds me of when I was in art school and the drawing teacher would have the models come into each class with less and less clothes on. I guess he was breaking us in so that life drawing class and naked bodies were not so intimidating all at once.

Before we left for recent trip to New York, we kept hearing that song in our head by Alicia Keys and singing it around the house.

New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There’s nothing you can’t do
Now you’re in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Hear it for New York, New York, New York


Perhaps, I am also inspired by the start of the new season of Mad Men tonight?

5 comments:

Ralph said...

Tremendous painting so full of life.

Autumn Leaves said...

Hi Ann...This is just gorgeous!! I was surprised to read that the large size of your cityscapes tends to lend some fright to you! Why? Because I thought a couple of your Boston cityscapes were quite large, weren't they? Those were just stunningly executed and gorgeous to behold!

I find myself thinking of an old book I read when I look at this piece..."A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!"

martinealison said...

Toujours aussi parfait...

txartist62 said...

just beautiful, annie! :)

kerry hawkins art and photo said...

Very cool, from The High Line

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...