Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why did the kitty cross the road?

Cat Crossing
6" x 6" x .75"
Oil with a palette knife on cradled board
SOLD

When I started this painting, I realized my lines and perspective weren't quite right, so I scraped it off and then turned the reference photo and my canvas board upside down. This really helped me to see that the lines in the road weren't really curved as I originally thought, they were straight. I continued to paint the entire painting upside down, just capturing the abstract shapes and colors that I saw. It was an interesting exercise in how your mind can play tricks on you and in "painting what you see and not what you know."

So why did the kitty cross the road? Probably to find a a nice, quiet place to nap.

2 comments:

sidra khan said...

Good job! House painting Seattle

Autumn Leaves said...

This is so pretty, both in composition and in colors. I'm with the kitty. A nap! I could use one of those myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...