Thursday, April 9, 2020

New family portrait commission


The Cavanaughs in Banff
11" x 14"
Oil with a palette knife on Ampersand Gessobord

My cousin Amy asked if I would paint this picture as a gift for our cousin Rob (in the middle). Rob is an orthodondist and worked on the teeth of all of Amy's 4 kids. This painting was given as a thank you for all of Rob's hard work.

I always start with the faces and work out from there. They are the most difficult part and you need to get those right before you can move on to the rest of the painting. Here is how it looked after I completed phase one, the faces.


I then moved on to paint the clothes and then last of all the beautiful mountains in the background.


The reference photo was taken in Banff and the Columbia Ice Fields and was a very memorable vacation for Rob's family. Now they will have a painting to remember it for years to come.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...