Monday, July 2, 2018

From the family album

Sorority Sisters, 1955
16" x 16" x 1.5"
Oil with a palette knife on cradled artist board
NFS

I've missed painting these scenes from old family photos. This one was inspired by a black and white image of my mother's sorority sisters. It was fun to imagine what the colors of their outfits would be, or what I think they should be.

I also researched the car, a 1955 Ford Fairlane Sunliner, because I wanted to pick a color that would be true to that era. Here are a couple photos I found at almost the exact same angle:




I've been trolling through our family's photo albums and have found many more inspirational images. I feel a series coming on.

1 comment:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

it will be fabulous to see a series out of old photos. You are off to a great start with Sorority Sisters.
The car is definitely the right color and I enjoyed seeing how you did the clothes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...