Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria



Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria

Oil with palette knife on canvas paper
8" x 8"
SOLD

This is my entry into this week's Different Strokes From Different Folks challenge. I found it difficult to get the boat to look right. I scraped it off a few times because the color got yucky. And I kept hearing Karin's advice in my head as I was painting "Remember that there is weight to this boat in the water - pay careful attention to the woman and the boat resting in the heavy water." Of course, I waited until the very last day to enter this challenge. But they are such fun to do. I can't NOT at least try it.

4 comments:

dominique eichi said...

You did great for the DSFDF challenge . There is weight to your boat. love the reflections.

Debra Keirce said...

I am always so impressed with people who can knife paint well, and this is an excellent piece. You asked how I got the texture on mine. I used linen canvas, thin applications of ink, pencil and paint, and the other thing that makes the texture more prominent - it's on a 2.5"x3.5" sized ACEO. I think the texture is much more noticeable on the miniatures.

Carol Horzempa said...

You did a really nice job creating the reflection and weight of the boat and with only a palette knife! Love your colors too!

polodidit said...

Beautiful job! I like the colors and you did capture the weight of the boat in the water. the ocean feels very real, I see a wave coming at her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...