Monday, July 2, 2012

Just put down the knife, and step away

Biking on the Boardwalk (v1)
18" x 18" x 1.5"
Oil with a palette knife on cradled board

This was done from a photo I found of my sisters, my mom, and me biking in Atlantic City one summer. I think it was probably taken somewhere around the mid 70s. I love that my mother looks just like one of the girls. And my dad is actually in the photo too. Can you spot him?

I've put this painting away for awhile because I'm not sure if it's done yet. I figure if I look at it with fresh eyes again in a week or so, I'll know what it needs. Right now, I think the boardwalk could have more obvious planks painted in and the background could use a little more detailing. But sometimes you need to just put the knife down and step away. Don't you wish you could hire someone to look over your shoulder as you are paintings and tell you when to stop? "It's done, put the knife down... now!"

I also took some photos of it after each stage so you can see how it progressed along the way.


I started painting the people first since that is usually the most difficult. I am getting used to and liking this orangy background color.

I'll keep you posted on any changes I make. Now-I'm off to paint a new commission I received last week!

2 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

I think it is fabulous and I daresay your dad is sitting on the bench back there? I have to ask which is you, which is your mom? She does indeed look like one of the girls. Another beautiful piece, Ann. Congratulations on your commission too!

Ann Gorbett said...

Thanks Sherry. I am the one of the far left and my mom is far right. My dad is the shadow taking the photo in the bottom right-one of the things I will probably make more obvious when I go back in a rework a few things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...