Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Girl In The White Jacket

Pretty on Pink
10" x 8"
Oil with a palette knife on canvas board
SOLD

I was feeling like painting something a little "girly" while working at the gallery this past Sunday (maybe because it was Mother's Day?).  I was inspired by the paintings of these two other artists.

The first one is by Gustav Klimt that I happened upon while researching something else:
Portrait of Maeda Primavesi
Gustav Klimt (1913)

And the second one is this pastel drawing by Whistler:
The Blue Girl
James McNeill Whistler (1900s) 



I have been trying to simplifiy my faces down to the fewest strokes and values possible, which I think Whistler does here superbly. I also originally had much more detail in the wallpaper background but it looked way too busy so I scraped it off and liked the effect that gave it. Then added back a few more flowers on top. Then finally, I wanted to make her clothes and hair look a little more modern so I changed those up to my liking.

Fun.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...