Thursday, March 9, 2023

Introducing Paintings by CAT

Dancer I by CAT

Textured Gesso over Acrylic

18" x 24"

SOLD

Dancer II by CAT

Textured Gesso over Acrylic

18" x 24"

SOLD

Football Player by CAT

Textured Gesso over Acrylic

18" x 24"

Available $53


I've been experimenting in the studio with a new technique that is fast and loose.

I started with a black canvas, then painted swatches of colorful acrylic paint on top. I then added a thick layer of gesso and texturized it with a rubber catalyst. With the end of a paint brush, I then drew in the figure lifting up the paint to reveal the colors underneath. 

While in art school, I always loved the drawing warm up exercise of quick gestural studies of the figure. The model would change poses every 30 seconds or so and you had to keep up. I tried to keep these loose and quick like those drawings had to be.

Since these are very different from my palette knife work, I am creating and selling these under a pseudonym CAT. Here is the branding I created for her work which I made into tags that hang on the paintings.

You might have noticed the little cat face I used to sign the work on the front. And here is how I sign the work on the back.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...