Monday, September 2, 2013

The sky is on fire!

Cape Sky on Fire
30" by 30" by 2"
Oil with a palette knife on Ampersand Gessobord
SOLD

Happy Labor Day everyone!

When we were on Cape Cod a few weeks ago, there was a strong thunderstorm and afterwards there was the most incredible, breathtaking sky, complete with a full double rainbow and clouds at sunset that made the sky look like it was on fire. It inspired this painting.

I couldn't get the rainbow all in one photo, so below are the left and the right sides of it. This was the view right outside our cottage-amazing.




And here are a few progress shots I took along the way...

This was my set up and sketch. You can see the reference photo that I took both as a print out and on the ipad. It was not manipulated in Photoshop at all-that's how the sky actually looked!

Finished! I was trying out a new thing where I taped the reference photo farther away from my canvas to give me a better sense of the whole.

1 comment:

CAROL HOPPER -- A PAINTER'S JOURNAL said...

Thanks for sharing your progress. Your sky is so strong, how ever could it be better. I love it. Please Friend Connect with me at www.carolhopper.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...