Friday, January 30, 2009

Winter Frolic

Winter Frolic
12" x 12"x .75"
Oil with a palette knife on cradled canvas
$150 unframed

For an upcoming show at the Norfolk Library, there is a call for artists to submit work depicting the theme "Winter Frolic". This winter in Boston has been a snowing and cold one, so this theme seems appropriate. One of my favorite things to do in winter is ice skate. I found this old photo of my mother ice skating when she was younger. The back of the photo says it was taken in 1941 in Chicago. Doesn't this just capture the joys and the challenges of trying to ice skate?
I made the decision to paint in color even though the photo was in black and white. An interesting challenge since it becomes "my world" and I can make up colors that please me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...