Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Abstract #1



Abstract #1
Oil with a palette knife on canvas paper
8" x 8"
SOLD

Here is my entry for the latest challenge from Karin Jurick's blog Different Strokes from Different Folks. It was a photo of rooftops in San Francisco. I really, really tried to keep it to just abstract shapes but then couldn't help myself by putting in a more details. It was fun to lay in big areas of flat color with the palette knife. Karin was right when she said that this was a perfect challenge with respect to value and mixing colors. I painted this all in one sitting last night because I really like to work wet into wet. And it's easier to scrape off areas that aren't working. I call it Abstract #1 because you never know what someone else might see in it, and perhaps it may become a series. Who knows? 

10 comments:

Becky Drees said...

Very nice!

Anne C M Campbell said...

I love this!

Kim Morin Weineck said...

Hmmm... a series?

I love the cleanliness of your shapes. Well done!

tomen!

Debbie Later said...

I like how yours is abstract but identifiable. You used just the right amount of details.

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

Great knife work - this is gorgeous!

dominique eichi said...

Great textures. wonderful entry to DSFDF

Carol Horzempa said...

Very nice Ann...just enough detail and love your subtle changes in color and value. I would love to see more, you are on to something!

Autumn Leaves said...

Beautiful as always, Ann.

Anonymous said...

You've got such a great style. You get such amazing results with the knives.

Julie Vecchio, owner/operator said...

oooh...I like this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...