Monday, April 1, 2019

Mother’s Day, 1954


Mother’s Day, 1954
16” x 16” 
oil with a palette knife on Ampersand Gessobord
Available

This past weekend, I put the finishing touches on this painting of my mother and my grandmother by painting in the white border and date. The photo that inspired this painting had no date so I made one up. I imagined my mother being about 20 years old, celebrating Mother's Day with her mother, all dressed up for brunch.

In this image below you can see that the original photo was black and white and had a terrible crease in the center. So when I painted it I imagined some fifties looking colors and went to town using my usual orange base color.



I took this photo after I finished the color part but before I added the white border and date.  I loved how the shadows looked on the painting the afternoon that I finished up.


This painting will be hung along side my First Communion painting for the month of April at the Walpole Public Library. I will be showing my work there along with 12 other Walpole artists.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...