Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Gillette Stadium : : The Canyon of Champions

The Canyon of Champions
24" by 48"
Oil with a palette knife on canvas
Available

I'm finally able to post this painting as it took me several sessions to complete. A total of about 20 hours. I used several reference photos of the stadium and fans to create this piece. The progression below will give you a good idea of how it developed from sketch to finish. 

As you will see below, I did not use my usual orange background wash before I sketched. Why? Because I forgot! I was so excited to get sketching after I purchased the large canvas that I completely forgot so I thought I'd leave it and see how it worked. Well about halfway through you will see that I ended up adding the orange wash later. The white was driving me crazy.  I felt like I had to fill every hole with color.










I also took a few close up shots so you can see the detail (below). In my painting, the Patriots are playing the Cleveland Browns. I grew up a Cleveland Browns fan, so it seemed fitting.


A group of stadium security guards came in to the gallery one day while I was painting. One of them claimed that he is the top orange dot in this section below, as that is his usual "beat." Funny guy.


 A close up of the stands...it's just a bunch of dots and blobs of paint!




I signed the painting by putting myself in to the bottom left corner: GORBETT, number 19 (for the year the painting was completed). I also painted in my dad in front of me, a true Browns fan for life. I gave him a Browns jersey, number 87 for what would have been his age on April 21. Sadly we lost my dad on April 9 so he spent his 87th birthday in heaven on Easter with The Big Guy, but I did get a chance to show him that I painted him in to the painting before he left us. He was touched and thrilled. I also added a few other family members to keep me company in that corner. :)





3 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonsoir,

Toutes mes félicitations pour la réalisation de cette très belle et grande toile.
Merci de partager avec nous la progression de celui-ci. C'est très intéressant.

Gros bisous

Barb said...

Wow! I love the special sentiment you included. I lost my dad last year, exactly 1 month after his 89th birthday. ❤️

Anonymous said...

Painting looks great, is painting on display in the Gallery for Sale?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...