Tuesday, March 22, 2022

NEW : : large portrait commission


Betsy's Boys

18" x 36"

Oil with palette knives on Ampersand cradled board

Betsy asked if I would paint a portrait of her 3 sons and she wanted it large. I hadn't painted a portrait this large before so it was a nice challenge for me. I really like how each boy's personality comes through in this painting, their nice casual poses, and their facial expressions.

Here are a few close ups and process shots I took along the way. I always start with the faces first.



Then I moved on to their clothing. Each jacket was dark so I adjusted the color slightly for each one to distinguish them.

Then I moved on to the background. The rocks were a bit tricky but I tried to make them interesting by introducing a lot of different colors.

Yesterday, the painting was shipped off to its new home in Ohio.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...